Friday, January 04, 2008

Excitement in Nairobi (email from Amy)

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I am safe in Nairobi. Perhaps
you've been hearing some things about the rioting in Kenya, but I am
far away from the places that are violent and they think that the
violence is dying down now. I knew there would be rioting around
Christmas because of the election here, but I didn't expect it to be
so bad. Anyway, we're going to the airport and flying out to Cairo
tomorrow morning (Sunday) so we'll be fine. In the past three weeks
I've swam in Lake Malawi, wandered the meandering alleyways of Stone
Town in Zanzibar, seen lions in the Serengeti, and been in four
different countries. Zanzibar was my favorite. It reminded me of a
medieval city with all of the streets, wide or narrow, the shops with
persistent vendors and the people dressed in various outfits. We'll
be two weeks in Egypt. Right now it looks like our plans take us to
Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, possibly Mount Sinai, and then back to Cairo
again. After that it's two weeks in Chiang Mai, Thailand and then
home again. I don't know how the internet situation will be, but just
wanted everyone to know I'm safe and to send my love. Merry
Christmas and Happy New Year.

Amy

No comments: