Saturday, January 26, 2008

Cooking, Haircut and Shakespeare (email from Amy)

Well,

Not much has changed. I took the Thai cooking class. It was fun, although I'm not sure I will ever be able to replicate the results (at home I don't have people chopping up the vegetables for me and telling me when to add all the ingredients and then cleaning up after me when I'm done.) I also got my hair cut. It had been needing it for a long time and it looks pretty cute now, if I do say so myself. We went to a jazz club last night, which was a lot of fun. I haven't been getting a lot of jazz in Namibia. Still reading. I'm on another Shakespeare kick. I finished That Hideous Strength and started and finished Twelfth Night and All's Well that Ends Well and now I'm in the middle of The Taming of the Shrew. I love Shakespeare. I don't know how you can not love poor Viola pining away after the Duke while he sends her to woo another woman for him, or Celia giving up her place as heir to the throne to follow her ill favoured cousin into the wilderness pursued by her father's soldiers, or, for that matter, even the clown who is consigned to speak all of his wisdom in nonsense. Shakespeare gets me. Anyway, it looks like I'm reading about a play a day. I get on these kicks every now and then, it'll probably end when I convince myself that I have to plug through a few of the histories as well as the comedies and tragedies (The second part of Henry IV ended my last kick.) Maybe I'll just put it off and read Much Ado About Nothing for the umpteenth time. Hope everyone back home is doing well. I'll be back there soon enough- only about a week left of this crazy trip. Take care.
Amy

No comments: